Olympus SH-50 iHS Super Zoom Digital Camera
Also available in white model.
Get Black Olympus SH-50 iHS Super Zoom Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized Internet etailer for Olympus
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The state-of-the-art Olympus SH-50 iHS, flagship of the Olympus Super Zoom line, comes with manual M settings and multiple-axis image stabilization (IS), a world-first technology for compact digital cameras. Hybrid 5-axis Movie IS is so effective you can record a blur-free Full HD movie literally on the run. Most Image Stabilization systems only work for angular shifts around the X- and Y- axes. Hybrid 5-axis Movie IS also compensates for rotary movement around the axis of the lens as well as horizontal and vertical shift. The SH-50 comes with an advanced iHS sensor and processing technologies that raise the image-quality bar in low-light conditions. It also offera Telephoto Macro, 120fps high-speed movie recording and slow-motion videos available in HD. The Olympus SH-50 iHS surpasses the competition with a 24x wide-angle optical zoom lens (25 - 600mm equivalent in 35mm photography) and Super-resolution Zoom that doubles zoom capability to 48x with effectively no notable loss of still image quality.
The SH-50 iHS can capture 1080 Full HD movies and 16-Megapixel stills simultaneously, using Olympus' revolutionary Multi Recording (MR) technology. Its 3-inch touch panel LCD with 460,000-pixel resolution offers easily framing, reviewing and sharing shots, and easy operation of key features. The powerful iHS (Intelligence, High Sensitivity and High Speed) technologies make it possible to capture excellent images in the most challenging conditions, for example in low light or with backlight. The 16-Megapixel backlit CMOS sensor delivers high-resolution, superb-quality full-size movies, stills and prints, even in low light. The choice of 1920 x 1080 Full HD 60i or 30p movies with sound allows you to pick the very best movie format for the situation.
Olympus SH-50 iHS Super Zoom Key Features
- Olympus SH-50 iHS Super Zoom Digital Camera Supplied Accessories:
- LI-90B Li-ion Rechargeable Battery
- F-2AC In-Camera Battery Charger
- Touch Pen
- CB-USB8 USB Cable
- Neck Strap
- Instruction Manual and OLYMPUS [ib] software CD
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
- Designed-to-be-Digital Optics - 24x Optical Zoom Wide-Angle Lens, 96x Total Seamless Zoom
- Optical precision is the foundation for creating quality images. First to introduce the Super Zoom category in 2000, Olympus once again delivers a designed-to-be-digital optical zoom lens to bring the action closer in an ergonomic body that's easy to handle. The SH-50 iHS is a super-slim camera featuring a 24x wide-angle optical-zoom lens. The f3.0 - f6.9 lens provides the equivalent of 25 - 600mm focal length in 35mm photography. Users can get close to the action with the compact 24x super telephoto zoom and at the same time, the wide-angle (25mm) lens captures more in each frame. Its super-macro capabilities capture the subtlest details. The compact lens construction uses aspherical lens elements to deliver edge-to-edge sharpness and clarity. Whether it is capturing fast-action sports or everyday snapshots, this sturdy compact body with a wide-angle and telephoto lens provides the versatility to get the job done.
- 3-Axis Image Stabilization (Photo) and Hybrid 5-Axis Movie Image Stabilization
- The true test of any compact camera is the quality of the images it generates and with some of the most advanced technology in the category at their fingertips, SH-50 owners can expect visual fireworks. Even at high zoom ratios and in low light, the SH-50 combines the very best iHS technologies with its new world-beating Image Stabilization (IS) system to essentially eliminate blur. 3-axis Photo IS is simply the most powerful IS for still photos ever installed in a compact digital camera, while Hybrid 5-axis Movie IS is the first digital/mechanical hybrid of its kind in any type of compact camera at all.
Where most optical IS systems only compensate for tipping (pitch) or side-to-side yaw (the way a skidding car rotates on a bend), 3-axis Photo IS also counteracts movement around the rotary axis -- the imaginary line that runs straight through the lens from the front of the camera to the back. This is vital with handheld shots at high zoom ratios because even the slightest tremble could be magnified disproportionately to cause blur. Hybrid 5-axis Movie IS is even more refined. It uses a mixture of powerful mechanical and digital IS to affect five different planes of movement -- mechanical for pitch, yaw and rotary shift; sensor-based digital for vertical and horizontal shift (along the extended plane of the lens surface). Conventional yaw-and-pitch video IS has its limitations, but Hybrid 5-axis Movie IS is so stable that you can film on the move. You simply touch the LCD screen to record virtually blur-free Full HD movies without pausing to break stride. You can even zoom in and out as you walk along.
- Advanced Movie Mode, 1080p 30 fps Full HD Movie Recording, 1080i 60 fps Full HD Movie Recording and 720p High-Speed Movie Recording
- Full HD movie recording (1920 x 1080) offers the best moving picture quality available in a compact camera today. With Full HD, footage is realistic, smooth, bright and clear. Movies become a fascinating window on real life when viewed on a big Full HD TV. Specifically designed to provide enhanced control when shooting videos, the Advanced Movie Mode allows for the easy activation of different recording functions like Photo-In-Movie, 60i Movie and High Speed Movie. Control your frame rate, make white balance adjustments and even set the self timer right from easy-to-access menus.
Choose your format, press record. Whenever you want to capture and share a video, the SH-50 iHS makes life easy by letting you pick the best format for your needs before you record the footage -- 1080 Full 60i HD, 1080 Full 30p HD or up to 240fps high-speed movies. 1080 Full HD 60i is ideal if you want 60fps super-smooth 1920 x 1080 high-definition video images, while 1080 Full HD 30p (30fps progressive 1920 x 1080) is better if you want to extract stunning still photos. For the first time on a digital compact camera, now you can record high-speed videos in high definition. At a frame rate of 120 frames per second in 720p HD, you'll enjoy slow motion playback of all your greatest action moments! It lets you play back footage of fast-action subjects like sport and animals in dramatic slow motion, often revealing details normally too quick for the human eye to catch.
- One-Touch HD Movie and HDMI Control
- The SH-50 iHS shoots gorgeous 1080p HD videos, so you'll never miss the chance to capture the scene. Activating HD recording is incredibly easy with a dedicated one-touch button, and playback is also a breeze. Now, you'll be the hit of the party or any family function when you proudly display your brilliant images and videos on high-definition televisions. Simply connect the camera to an HDTV with an HDMI™ cable, which can be purchased separately at any consumer electronics store. With HDMI Control, you can use your HDTV's remote to control playback functions and navigate the camera's menus from the comfort of your favorite couch. With One-Touch HD Movie you can record widescreen, crystal clear HD movies (1080p) right from your camera.
- Linear PCM Audio Recording
- Linear PCM Recording, an audio technology pioneered by Olympus for professional voice recorders, records your videos with high-definition audio for optimal playback results.
- iHS Technology
- Thanks to the iHS (Intelligent, High-Sensitivity and High-Speed) family of technologies, the Olympus SH-50 iHS has brains as well as brawn. iHS harnesses the power of a 16-megapixel BSI (Back-Side Illuminated) CMOS sensor and the TruePic VI image processor (originally developed for DSLR cameras) to dramatically improve low-light performance, speed up camera response time, enhance scene and subject recognition and double zoom magnification without losing image quality.
iHS powers a number of Olympus features that take all the work out of capturing difficult shots. A blazing quick autofocus and HDR Backlight Adjustment takes a collage of separate photos and blends them into one perfectly exposed image regardless of difficult lighting. Multi-Motion Movie IS (Image Stabilization) records virtually blur-free videos even when you're moving. The versatile lens on the Olympus SH-50 iHS pulls out wide or zooms in twice as close with its 48x Super-Resolution Zoom that digitally extends the range of the optical zoom with nearly no loss of image quality. Olympus iHS technology delivers with new high-speed shooting technology that captures High Speed video at 120 frames per second in 720p and 240 frames per second in HVGA along with High-Speed Sequential shooting of still images at the push of a button. Show off snowboarding stunts and other fast-moving action with slow-motion playback for that special touch. The SH-50 iHS includes 60-frames-per-second HD recording, 60i Movie, for smoother images of moving subjects.
- 16 Megapixel BSI (Back Side Illumination) CMOS Sensor
- The TG-830 iHS' 16 Megapixel CMOS sensor delivers high-resolution, superb-quality full-size movies, stills and prints. A backside illumination (BSI) sensor increases the amount of light captured, which in turn improves low-light performance. The high-sensitivity, high-speed BSI CMOS sensor deliver unmatched image quality with less noise and improved image detail, especially in low-light situations.
- TruePic™ VI Image Processor
- Olympus developed its exclusive TruePic VI image processor for the demanding performance of digital SLR (single lens reflex) cameras. Olympus' enhanced TruePic VI Image Processor provides faster recovery time and shutter release plus excellent image quality with true-to-life color, the sharpest details, and less noise.
- 3.0-inch High-Resolution 460,000-Pixel HyperCrystal™ III Touch Panel LCD
- Whether composing still images or HD videos, photographers will appreciate the sharp 3.0-inch HyperCrystal III scratch-resistant LCD monitor on the SH-50 iHS. The LCD boasts 460,000 dots. It reproduces colors and shades more accurately with deeper black tones, while consuming less power. The wide-viewing angle enables you to view small details clearly, even in strong sunlight. See that fish you just caught clearly in the LCD without glare. The high-resolution HyperCrystal™ III LCD enables clear, high-contrast images. It increases the brightness of the LCD for better visibility in low-light and bright-light situations -- perfect for composing subjects in shadow or in direct sunlight.
- Backlight HDR Adjustment
- Shooting into backlight typically results in washed out, overly bright images. Backlight HDR Adjustment takes a collage of images at various exposure levels and blends them into one, perfectly exposed image.
- Manual Mode
- Want more control over your image output? Adjust ISO settings, shutter speed and aperture with ease while viewing the expected results on screen as you make your selections.
- Tele Macro
- Capture beautiful close-up images of subjects at a distance with the tele macro function which allows for blur-free shots up to 40 cm close even at the telephoto end of the zoom range.
- Hand-Held Starlight
- Hand-Held Starlight with Flash automatically snaps several images and then stitches them together into a single, blur-free image with minimal noise resulting in stunning low-light images.
- Eye-Fi Card Compatibility
- Ready to upload and share images of your adventures live, as they happen? The SH-50 iHS is compatible with Eye-Fi SD cards (sold separately) adding Wi-Fi capability to the camera, enabling you to automatically upload images to your computer as you take them. Share your pictures of sandcastles right from the beach by uploading your shots immediately.
- AF Tracking
- AF Tracking technology locks your subject in focus, and continuously adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject are moving. This mode can remember the subject if it moves out of the frame. This enables you to keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects like small children in focus for the perfect shot. There's even a specially designed AF Tracking Pet Mode for animal lovers.
- Advanced Intelligent Auto Mode
- Tired of changing the settings on your camera every time you're shooting something different? The SH-50 iHS's Intelligent Auto Mode automatically indentifies what you are shooting from up to 30 different scene modes (Portrait, Landscape, Night + Portrait, Macro, Sports, etc.) and adjusts settings to capture the best quality results depending on the situation. First-time users will enjoy this quick and hassle-free feature, which does the thinking for them and produces incredible images like a pro.
- Beauty Mode
- Beauty mode touches up the appearance of subjects even while the shot is being taken. This feature recognises faces and automatically makes skin on the face and adjacent areas appear smoother, brighter and more youthful. It enables you to soften shadows and smooth wrinkles or blemishes on your subject's face -- all in the camera and as you capture the image. Additionally, subtle edits can be made post-capture using the Beauty Fix mode. Choose Clear Skin to smooth a person's complexion, Dramatic Eye to slightly emphasize the eyes, and Sparkle Eye to brighten and enhance the contrast of the iris and pupils. You can also apply all three edits at once.
- 35 Selectable Shooting Modes Including Manual Mode, 17 Scene Preset Modes and 11 Creative Art Filters
- i-Auto: Automatically indentifies what you are shooting and adjusts settings to capture the best quality results depending on the situation.
- Program Auto: Automatic shooting settings are activated while also allowing changes to a wide range of other shooting menu functions, such as exposure compensation, white balance, etc. as needed.
- Smart Panorama: Capture breathtaking panoramic views and vistas just as you remembered them, all in one frame and at the touch of a button, by simply panning the camera across the scene.
- Manual: Adjust ISO settings, shutter speed and aperture
- Advanced Movie: Shoot gorgeous 1080p full HD videos st 30 fps. Also shoot in 720p and VCA resolutions.
- Photo + Movie Clip: Records a VGA movie before and after taking a photo.
- Hand-held Starlight: Automatically snaps several images and then stitches them together into a single, blur-free image.
- 17 Scene Modes: See below.
- 11 Magic Filters: See below.
- 17 Scene Preset Modes
- With 17 pre-programmed scene modes, such as Beach & Snow, Night Scene, Sunset, and Under Water Snapshot, the SH-50 iHS makes it easy to capture beautiful images in a variety of lighting and shooting situations. Get the best result in any situation with advanced options -- landscape, portrait, indoor, sunset and more.
- Night Scene
- Night & Portrait
- Beach & Snow
- Pet (Dog)
- Pet (Cat)
- Backlight HDR
- Super Macro
- 11 In-Camera Magic Art Filters
- In-camera Creative Features recently debuted on Olympus E-System DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras. Similar in-camera Magic Art Filters have been developed for the SH-50 iHS. Magic Art Filters enable the user to enhance and customize images as they're being captured. This translates into more fun and flexibility as customization is no longer limited to using expensive and time-consuming computer software. The Magic Art Filters include:
- Pop Art: Enhance and saturate colors to create vivid, high-impact pictures that express the joyful, lighthearted feeling of the Pop Art style of the 1960s
- Pin Hole: Reduce the peripheral brightness of an image as though it were shot through a pin hole, connecting the viewer intimately with the subject at the center
- Fish-Eye: Emulate the wide-angle of a fish-eye lens by taking extremely wide, hemispherical images and magnifying the center of the frame.
- Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone that gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details such as hair or flower petals.
- Punk: Creates a two-tone image with a classic punk rock feel
- Watercolor: Transforms images into frame-worthy art with a finish like that of watercolor paintings
- Sparkle: Adds a twinkle to your photos
- Reflection: Creates a spectacular horizontal reflection of the real image similar to a mirror image created by still water.
- Miniature: Gives images a miniature model feel by narrowing the depth of field and enhancing color and contrast.
- Fragmented: Creates a collage of tiles, as if the original photo had been cut up and reassembled. Gives the shot a lively new look and feel with a three-dimensional texture.
- Dramatic: Boosts the contrast to give images a more dynamic atmosphere.
- Live Guide
- Get the results you want every time with Live Guide. Seeing the results before you shoot can change the way you take a picture. Easily adjust the brightness, color, vividness, etc. by touching the guide bar and previewing the effects on the ultra-bright 3.0-inch Touch Panel LCD.
- Advanced Face Detection Auto Focus and Auto Exposure
- Face Detection Technology tracks up to 16 faces within the frame and automatically focuses (Face Detection AF) and optimizes exposure (Face Detection AE) for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures. Even if your subjects are moving, the camera continuously tracks your subjects' faces without having to press the shutter button.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology
- Shooting outdoors in bright daylight can be tricky because of the extreme contrast between dark shadowed areas and bright sunlight areas -- while the human eye is capable of detecting the nuances between dark and light and all the details in between, image sensors traditionally have not been quite as sensitive. The SH-50 iHS Super Zoom addresses this challenge head-on with Shadow Adjustment Technology, which compensates for extreme contrast where the shadow areas are underexposed and lack visible detail. With this technology, users can preview and capture images that have the same contrast as seen with the naked eye. Combined with Face Detection Auto Focus and Auto Exposure, the SH-50 iHS Super Zoom captures smiles in shadows without getting a dark image in difficult lighting such as in backlight situations. The technology can also be turned off for any shooting situation where shadows are a key element of a photograph's drama.
- 43 MB Available Built-in Internal Memory
- You can capture images even when no media card is in the camera. The SH-50 iHS comes with 43 MB of internal memory
- SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card Compatible
- The Olympus SH-50 iHS Super Zoom digital compact camera offers SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card capability for up to 64 gigabytes of capacity.
- OLYMPUS [ib] Software
- The SH-50 iHS comes with OLYMPUS [ib] software. The software includes photography workflow, browsing, editing and unique photo organizing functions. You can organize your photos by person with automatic face recognition technology, by location with a Geotagging function or by event. You can easily view photos on an HDTV or on the camera's LCD with the Photo Surfing or Slideshow functions. The name [ib] stands for image bridging, image browsing and image brightening. The software is available for Windows operating systems only.
- Easy Direct Print Capability
- The power of PictBridge technology enables photos to be printed directly from the camera to any PictBridge-enabled printer, such as the Olympus P-11 Digital Photo Printer, without using a computer. And the new one-touch printing button makes printing a single-step process. Printing and sharing images has never been easier!
- Auto-Connect USB 2.0 High Speed
- Transferring images to the computer has never been easier with the Auto-Connect USB 2.0 that does not require software drivers (for most computers/operating systems) for hassle-free and high-speed image downloads.
- Histogram Function
- The SH-50 iHS Super Zoom's Histogram function provides real-time access to exposure information so users can confirm exposure before snapping the picture. A histogram displayed on the LCD makes detection of over- and under-exposed areas simple with red and blue highlighting so users can make adjustments.
- Built-in Multi-Mode Flash
- The SH-50 iHS Super Zoom camera has a built-in flash that offers settings to provide a wide range of options.
- Auto Flash fires automatically in low light or back-light, to help ensure the illumination is appropriate.
- Red-Eye Reduction Flash Mode emits a series of pre-flashes right before the shutter snaps, allowing the subject's eyes to adjust to the light level of the flash -- reducing the red-eye effect.
- Fill-In Flash Mode (forced on) adds light to eliminate shadows, for a more natural look in photos when your subject is in both bright light and dark shadow.
- Flash Off Mode is available when flash photography is not permitted or to allow for long exposures for shots like sunsets and night scenes.
- Smart Panorama In-Camera Panorama Mode
- Capture breathtaking panoramic views and vistas just as you remembered them, all in one frame and at the touch of a button, by simply panning the camera across the scene.
- Digital ESP Multi-Pattern and Spot Metering
- Multi-Point Metering enables separate points in the image area to be averaged for proper exposures in the most difficult lighting conditions.
Olympus SH-50 iHS Super Zoom Specifications
- CCD Imager:
- 16.8 megapixel total, 16.0 megapixel effective 1/2.3" (1.1cm) CMOS, primary color filter
- 4.5 - 108.0 mm (25mm - 600mm equivalent in 35mm photography), 11 lenses in 10 groups, 3 aspherical lens, 3 ED glass lenses
- 24x Optical Zoom + 4x Digital Zoom (Seamless to 96x)
- Super Resolution Zoom:
- 2x / 48x combined with optical zoom
- Aperture Range:
- f3.0 (W) / f6.9 (T)
- 3.0" (7.6cm) Touch Panel LCD, approx. 460,000 pixels, ±2 Steps Brightness Adjustment
- Focusing System:
- CMOS Contrast detection
- Focusing Ranges (from lens surface):
- Normal Mode: (Wide) 3.9 in. - infinity (10 cm - infinity)
(Tele) 15.7 in. - infinity (40 cm - infinity)
Super Macro Mode: 1.18 in. - infinity (3 cm - infinity)
- Focus Modes:
- iESP Auto, Spot AF, Face Detection AF, AF Tracking, Slective AF Area (via Touch Panel), AF Lock
- Shutter Speeds:
- 1/2000 sec. - 1/4 sec. (up to 15 sec. in Manual Mode)
- Auto, High ISO Auto, 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 (SOS: Standard Output Sensitivity)
- Metering Modes:
- Digital ESP Metering, Spot Metering
- Exposure Compensation:
- ±2 EV steps in 1/3 EV steps
- Shooting Modes:
- 35 Shooting Modes: Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Manual, Panorama, Photo & Movie Clip, Hand-held Starlight, 11 Magic Filters (Pop Art, Pinhole, Fisheye, Soft Focus, Punk, Sparkle, Watercolor, Reflection, Miniature, Fragmented, Dramatic), 17 Scene Presets (Portrait, Beauty, Landscape, Night Scene, Night & Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Sunset, Fireworks, Pet (Cat), Pet (Dog), Cuisine, Documents, Beach & Snow, Self Portrait, Super Macro, Backlight HDR), Advanced Movie
- White Balance System:
- Auto, Pre-set (Overcast, Daylight, Tungsten, and Fluorescent 1), One-touch (1 custom setting can be registered)
- Motion Blur Suppression
- Mechanical Image Stabilizer (3-axis Sensor shift)
- Image Processing:
- TruePic™ VI Image Processor
- Image File Formats:
- Still Image: JPEG
Movie: MOV / H.264
- Adjustable Resolutions:
- 16MP (4,608 x 3,456)
8MP (3,264 x 2,448)
5MP (2,560 x 1,920)
3MP (2,048 x 1,536)
2MP (1,600 x 1,200)
1MP (1,280 x 960)
VGA (640 x 480)
16:9 L (4,288 x 2,416)
16:9 S (1,920 x 1,080)
- Smart Panorama
- Continuous Shooting
- Approx. 10 fps / 16 images (16M)
Approx. 2.5 fps / 200 images (16M)
Approx. 15 fps / 60 images (5M)
Approx. 60 fps / 60 images (3M)
- Shooting Assist Functions:
- Histogram, Frame Assist, Hand-Held Starlight, Voice Recording
- Movie Mode:
- 1080 60i, 1080p, 720p, VGA, High Speed 120fps (720p), High Speed 240fps (QVGA)
- Image Playback:
- Still Image: Single, Index Display (4 x 4 fames)), 1.1x to 10x Zoom, Slideshow, Auto Rotation, Event-view, Image Protection, Histogram
Movie: Normal, Fast-Forward, Reverse, Index Play, Frame-by-Frame
- Playback Edit Effects:
- Still Image: Beauty Fix, Resize, Cropping, Saturation
- Built-in Flash
- Built-in Flash Modes:
- Auto (for low light and backlit conditions), Red-Eye Reduction, Fill-in, Off
- Flash Working Range:
- Wide: 3.9 in. (10 cm) - 43.3 ft (13.2 m) at ISO 1600
Tele: 1.31 ft (0.4 m) - 18.1 ft (5.7 m) at ISO 1600
- 12 seconds / 2 seconds / Pet auto-shutter
- 43 MB internal memory
- Removable Media Card:
- SD / SDHC / SDXC Card
- Outer Connectors:
- Multi-terminal (USB connecter, DC input, Audio/Video output), HDMI Type D micro
- Auto-Connect USB:
- USB 2.0 Full Speed (USB Mass Storage)
- Power Supply:
- Li-ion Rechargeable Battery (LI-90B)
- Wireless Transfer:
- Wi-Fi compatible with optional Eye-Fi card
- Size (W x H x D):
- Approx. 4.4 x 2.5 x 1.6 inches (112 x 63.5 x 42.4 mm)
- Approx. 9.5 oz. (269 g) with battery and memory card