Canon HF M500 Flash Memory Camcorder
Get Canon HF M500 Price / Buy Online
Shop With Confidence!
Video Direct® is an Authorized U.S. Retailer for Canon
and Many Other Fine Brands!
The Canon VIXIA HF M500 Flash Memory camcorder offers stunning HD video in an ultra-sleek, compact and lightweight body, now 15 percent smaller when compared to 2011 M-Series models. Recording Full HD 1920 x 1080 video, the VIXIA HF M500 features a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens and Canon's enhanced HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor for high video resolution, outstanding low-light performance and a wide dynamic range. The HF M500 includes Canon's newly designed Flat Touch Panel 3.0-inch LCD screen for a large display and an improved menu system. The VIXIA HF M500 records directly to a SDXC-compatible memory card slot.
The Canon VIXIA HF M500 is equipped with a new Audio Scene Select menu that streamlines the selection of custom audio selection. Users select the environment that is being captured -- a musical performance, a speech, a forest -- and the camcorder will automatically adjust settings, including microphone directionality, frequency response, wind screen, volume level and microphone attenuator. While users will still be given the option to make these adjustments manually, the new audio settings menu makes the optimization of the audio levels quick and easy for casual users. Canon has enhanced its Image Stabilization (IS) system, which automatically detects the needs of the situation being captured. The new Intelligent IS system will change intuitively through one of four IS modes -- Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod -- so that the user has fewer things to worry about while shooting video.
Canon HF M500 Key Features
- Canon HF M500 Supplied Accessories:
- BP-718 Battery Pack
- CA-110 Compact Power Adapter
- Stylus Pen
- IFC-300PCU/S USB Interface Cable
- HTC-100/S Mini HDMI Cable
- Pixela Video Browser / Network Utility Software Disc
- Photo Applications (ImageBrowser EX, Image Mix) / Music Disc
- Flash Memory Camcorder
- Flash Memory camcorders are able to read and write data faster than camcorders which use other types of storage. This means that you will be able to start recording faster and have immediate access to your recorded scenes. Because Flash Memory is solid-state storage, it is extremely stable. That means that accidental jolts to the camcorder are much less likely to result in failure or data loss. Since Flash Memory contains no moving parts, the camcorder requires less power. You will gain the advantage of longer recording times, perfect when on vacation or when capturing sports events and special occasions. Flash Memory allows the camcorder to be smaller, more compact, and lighter than ever before. You will benefit from sleeker design and the ability to take your camcorder anywhere.
- SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Slot
- Get ready for a revolution in home movies with Canon's flash memory camcorders. Lightweight, stylish and small enough to slip into a pocket, recording to flash memory means that you can shoot for longer without running out of power. And thanks to flash, operating the camcorder is quick and quiet, plus your footage stays safe. All Canon Flash Memory Camcorders record to SD, SDHC or SDXC memory cards, for ultra-easy sharing and uploading to a computer. Capture video and photos straight to memory card to store precious moments, then easily share them with friends and family. Since all Canon Flash Memory camcorders have an SDXC memory card slot, greater capacity can be added in the future by purchasing additional cards. Furthermore, an SDXC memory card can be easily inserted into a computer's memory card reader or an HDTV's card slot for instant viewing.
- Canon HD CMOS Pro True HD Image Sensor (1920 x 1080)
- Canon's expertise in designing and manufacturing CMOS image sensors for its line of EOS Digital SLR cameras is now available in Canon HD camcorders. The Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor captures true HD information at 1920 x 1080, giving your images the ultimate in realistic detail. Canon's advanced noise reduction technology, ensures the purity of each pixel even in dim light, minimizing noise and other aberrations. It incorporates an RGB Primary Color Filter with Bayer placement to deliver a sharp HD image with vibrant and accurate color reproduction. The VIXIA HF G10 camcorder features the Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor, a 1/3-inch native 1920 x 1080 image sensor that incorporates the same proven technology at the heart of Canon's pro-grade camcorders. The HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor defies convention: using fewer pixels than typical consumer camcorder sensors, it delivers far superior video performance.
Outstanding Video Resolution (800 Vertical and 900 Horizontal TV Lines): The effective number of pixels in the HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor is exactly equal to 1920 x 1080, the resolution of Full High Definition video. Because there is no need to resize the image captured by the sensor, Full HD video is recorded with the utmost precision, resulting in exceptionally high resolution.
Superb Low-Light Performance (1.2 Lux*): Because the pixel dimensions are precisely those needed to capture Full HD, each pixel site is larger and more sensitive to light. This results in far greater light gathering capability, enabling high-quality video to be captured even in dim lighting.
Wide Dynamic Range: The larger pixel area also enables more light to be stored, making it possible to detect and capture a wider range of tonal values. The sensor design yields an improvement in dynamic range, enabling both highlights and shadows to be reproduced with remarkable accuracy and depth. Skin tones are captured with fine gradation.
- Genuine Canon Optics - 10x High Definition Video Lens
- With more than 70 years of expertise in manufacturing lenses for professional broadcast and still photography, the Canon name represents optical excellence. The HF M500 features a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Zoom Lens designed specifically to capture crisp high definition video. It incorporates an aspherical lens, super spectra coating technology and a gradation ND filter design to ensure stunning image quality, while minimizing aberration. Super Spectra Coating technology results in images with minimal flare and ghosting. Plus, the lens' aspheric design reduces aberration and increases resolution, ensuring crisp, sharp video and enhancing the HD image quality. The gradation neutral density (ND) system gives you better exposures in bright shooting situations.
- True HD 1920 x 1080 Video
- Canon's expertise in designing and manufacturing CMOS image sensors for its line of EOS Digital SLR cameras is now available in the Canon HF M500 HDV camcorder. The HD CMOS Pro image sensor captures true HD information at 1920 x 1080, giving your images the ultimate in realistic detail. Canon's advanced noise reduction technology, ensures the purity of each pixel even in dim light, minimizing noise and other aberrations. It incorporates an RGB Primary Color Filter with Bayer placement to deliver a sharp HD image with vibrant and accurate color reproduction.
- RGB Primary Color Filter
- The HF M500's True HD CMOS Sensor's RGB Primary Color Filter separates the light passing through the lens into individual red, green, and blue color components, the same color filtration used in professional 3 CCD camcorders. As a result, the HF M500 deliver richer, more vibrant, and more accurate color reproduction than models using a conventional complementary color filter.
- DIGIC DV III Image Processor
- DIGIC DV III is Canon's most advanced HD image processor ever, helping to deliver enhanced image quality, true color production for both video and photos, and a sophisticated noise reduction system for exceptional low-light performance. It is also the high-speed engine which powers a variety of Canon technologies including the Advanced Auto Exposure system and Genuine Canon Face Detection. Plus, the Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor allows continuous shooting of digital photos with the VIXIA HF M500. You can also enjoy faster processing of your images to your memory card (1.4x normal card; 2.5x Hi Speed card). In addition, it helps lower power consumption for longer battery life.
- 3-inch Touch Panel LCD
- Canon's Touch Panel LCD Screen offers easy menu navigation and quick control over a variety of camcorder functions -- such as scene selection, Genuine Canon Face Selection and Touch & Track -- right at your fingertips.
- Touch & Track
- Canon's Touch & Track technology enables users to select a subject on the Touch Panel LCD that the camcorder will then recognize and track. This sophisticated technology recognizes faces, objects, even animals, ensuring that your subject will always be in focus and properly exposed.
- Dynamic Super-Range Optical Image Stabilizer
- Canon's Super-Range Optical Image Stabilizer helps deliver smooth, steady video, even at longer focal lengths. The system uses two detection methods (gyro and vector) to sense the widest range of vibrations from hand-held shake, to vibration from a moving vehicle. By using optical stabilization, it can compensate for a greater degree of camera shake and avoid any loss in image quality, unlike electronic image stabilizers. It is even effective for both video and photos. Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer takes shake correction to a whole new level. It provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct an even broader range of motion. Extra compensation is applied at wide-angle focal lengths to eliminate unwanted vibration common with walking.
- Powered IS
- In addition to Canon's Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization, Powered IS provides an even higher level of compensation for subtle hand movement at the telephoto end of the zoom range. This enhancement can be engaged by pressing the Powered IS button on the LCD panel.
- Intelligent IS
- Intelligent IS makes it easy to shoot clear, sharply focused video, even in situations that typically cause camera shake. The Intelligent IS system analyzes the shooting situation for you, then automatically switches to the image stabilization method best able to produce sharp, steady video. Four IS systems cover the gamut of shooting situations. Dynamic IS corrects minor movement and the shaking caused by walking while shooting. Macro IS delivers perfectly steady close-up shots. Powered IS comes into play when you're using the camcorder's powerful zoom, correcting shake that can occur in telephoto shots. Tripod Mode stops IS when the camcorder is stationary.
- Variable Zoom Speed Control
- A sure sign of amateur video is the unsteady zoom shot. But with the Vixia HF M500's zoom control, you simply select one of three pre-set zoom speeds for smooth, steady, professional looking zooms.
- Audio Scene Select
- Audio Scene Select offers five modes that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation, making it easy to record realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
- Standard: Default setting, best for recording in a variety of audio environments
- Speech: Audio recording focused on the speaker in front of the camera
- Music: Rich soundstage and timbre, perefect for live indoor performances
- Noise Suppression: Reduces ambient sound, such as wind and moving vehicles
- Forest and Birds: Useful in fairly quiet settings, natural soundscapes are clearly audible
- 24Mbps Recording
- 24Mbps Recording offers the highest bit rate in AVCHD for exceptional lifelike tone and detail.
- 24p Cinema Mode
- 24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional film-like look. You can change the camcorder's frame rate to 24p, which provides the same frame rate as movie film. In addition, you can use the HF M500's CINE setting, which changes the color and tonal characteristics, evoking the look and feel of a movie shown in a theater. For added flexibility, these settings can be used together, or independently.
- 30p Progressive Mode
- In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the Vixia HF M500 to capture video in 30p which is (30 progressive frames) particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. In addition, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording. Excellent for action shots and sports.
- Cinema-Look Filters
- Cinema-Look Filters offer 9 different built-in filters allowing users to create video with a variety of professional cinematic looks.
- Cinema Standard: Recreates the warm tones and muted highlights of classic film.
- Cool: Adds a bluish tint for cool, futuristic-looking scenes.
- Old Movie: Gives video the aged look of old cinema.
- Nostalgic: Recreates the look of old '70s TV programs.
- Dramatic B&W: Creates bold black-and-white movies with high contrast and grain.
- Sepia: Applies a sepia tint for an antique, faded look.
- Vivid: Accentuates primary colors for a bright, cheerful look.
- Dream: Adds a magical look (soft focus) for dream-like scenes.
- Memory: Produces a faded, misty look, such as for flashback scenes.
- Genuine Canon Face Detection
- The same high quality Face Detection technology used in Canon digital cameras is now available in Canon High Definition camcorders. Up to 35 faces can be detected automatically, and 9 detection frames can be displayed at one time. Genuine Canon Face Detection ensures razor-sharp focus and natural, accurate exposure of the chosen subjects. The system is so intelligent it will recognize faces that are turned downwards or sideways. In addition, a specific face may be selected as the main subject for continuous tracking. This feature can be used to search for clips featuring that specific subject's face. In search and playback, use of the Face Index will display frames with the chosen face as a thumbnail in each shot in which it appears. The selected face can be linked as a time line to further identify footage containing that subject.
- SD / SDHC / SDXC Memory Card Compatible
- The Canon VIXIA HF M500 camcorder is compatible with SDXC memory cards, the newest version of the ultra-compact Secure Digital card, delivering super-high capacity storage and ultra-fast data transfer speeds. Unlike the previous SDHC standard, which has storage capacity ranging from 4GB to 32GB, SDXC increases storage capacity from more than 32GB up to 2TB.
- Story Creator
- Story Creator assists you in the process of producing an organized video with a logical storyline. Choose one of five different themes -- Travel, Kids & Pets, Party, Ceremony and Blog -- and the camcorder provides a list of suggested scenes to shoot. Each theme has more than 20 scene suggestions. After you've captured your footage, Story Creator helps you categorize and rate your scenes, making it easy to review, select and play back your favorites.
- Touch Decoration
- Use the Touch Panel LCD while shooting to activate Touch Decoration, a novel feature that lets you superimpose and record a variety of fun and exciting images along with your video. Animations (e.g., shooting stars, thought bubbles, etc.), stamps, decorative frames and even freehand drawings (using the supplied stylus) can be added to give your videos a fun and creative flair.
- Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe Terminal
- An Advanced Accessory Shoe lets you attach optional accessories such as a video light or directional microphone, without additional wires or batteries.
- Smart Auto
- The Smart Auto mode makes shooting great video even easier by utilizing Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor to intelligently detect and analyze brightness, color, distance and movement and automatically select the best setting for the scene being recorded.
- Convenient HDMI Terminal
- The HF M500 allows easy connection to today's latest HD televisions through its HDMI Terminal. Only one cable is needed to output a pure digital signal (video and audio) for the ultimate viewing experience.
- Instant AF
- Since achieving sharp focus is critical when shooting in High Definition, the HF M500 features Canon's revolutionary Instant AF focusing system. It offers a dramatic improvement in auto focus speed and accuracy (compared to traditional autofocus systems). Instant AF uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon's autofocus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to find focus. It is especially effective when shooting at night, in high-brightness conditions or when following a moving subject.
- Advanced Auto Exposure System Including Aperture and Shutter Priority Modes
- Like any good digital still camera, the HF M500 lets you choose from a range of exposure modes. Auto mode automatically sets the exposure, letting you concentrate on your subject. AV (aperture priority) mode lets you control depth of field by letting you choose the aperture. TV (shutter priority) mode lets you select the shutter speed for sharp, action shots. In P (program) mode, the camcorder adjusts camera settings automatically. Night Scene Mode reduces noise and prevents overexposure of building and street lighting for accurate image reproduction at night.
- 5.1-Channel Surround Sound With Optional Canon SM-V1 Microphone
- For the ultimate home theater experience, 5.1-Channel Surround Sound allows you to capture audio quality that matches the stunning realism of your high definition video. Since sound is captured from all directions through five different pickup sensors, your home movies will look and sound more lifelike than ever before.
- Tele Macro
- With Tele Macro, the camcorder automatically zooms the lens to full telephoto and changes the closest focusing to 1.3 feet -- the ideal setting for ultra-close-up shooting. Conventional camcorders set the minimum focusing distance to approximately three feet at the telephoto end of the zoom range, making it difficult to use the lens's full magnification power. You can use Tele Macro to capture spectacular close-ups with shallow depth-of-field.
- USB 2.0 High Speed
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed provides a direct connection to computers for fast transfer of video and still images. You can even use the camcorder as an external DVD burner for making duplicates of home movies.
- Intelligent Lithium-ion Battery
- The Intelligent Lithium-ion battery which powers the HF M500 is a major, and useful, advance. It not only more accurately tracks remaining battery life, it also gives a display in minutes remaining. It will allow you to better plan your shooting, so you won't be caught out with a battery that suddenly goes from 'half' to 'empty'.
- Microphone Terminal With Manual Audio Level Control
- With the HF M500's Microphone Terminal you can attach an external microphone if you need to record audio more accurately from a specific source. To make your videos sound as good as they look, the VIXIA HF M500 offers a built-in audio meter and manual audio level adjustment. You'll be able to tell at a glance if the sound you're hearing is being recorded the way you want it and a simple control allows you to change the audio level if it's not.
- Headphone Terminal
- You'll find a dedicated headphone terminal, ideal for remote communication with the optional Wireless Microphone WM-V1 and other applications.
Canon HF M500 Specifications
- Video Format:
- AVCHD H.264 High Definition / MPEG4
- Audio Format:
- Audio AVCHD: Dolby Digital AC3 (2 Channel)
MP4: MPEG-2 AAC-LC (2 Channel)
Sampling Frequency: 48 KHz
- Recording Media:
- Flash Memory: SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card (1 slot)
Use of Class 4 or above (4, 6 or 10) memory cards is recommended for recording MXP or FXP (1920 x 1080 pixel recording) movies. For other recording formats, a Class 2 or higher card is recommended. Also, movie (AVCHD/MP4) recording requires cards with 128MB of memory or more.
- Image sensor:
- 1/3-inch HD CMOS Pro, approx. 2.37 Megapixels gross, RGB Prmary Color Filter
- Number of Effective Pixels:
- Video and Still Image: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- Maximum Recording Time, 64 GB SDXC Memory Card (not supplied):
- AVCHD: LP (5 Mbps) 24 hours 30 minutes
SP (7 Mbps) 19 hours 10 minutes
XP+ (12 Mbps) 11 hours 30 minutes
FXP (17 Mbps) 8 hours 20 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
MXP (24 Mbps) 5 hours 55 minutes - Allows 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
MP4: 4 Mbps: 33 hours 55 minutes
9 Mbps: 15 hours 25 minutes
Recording time based on internal flash memory only. Greater capacity is possible when SD memory cards are also used (2 card slots).
- Zoom Ratio: 10x Optical / 200x Digital (digital zoom for video only)
Focal Length: f=6.1 - 61 mm (35mm equivalent: 43.6 - 436 mm)
Max. F/Stop f/1.8 - 3.0
- Zoom Speed:
- Variable/3 Fixed Zoom Speeds
- Filter diameter:
- 43 mm
- Minimum Focusing Distance:
- 0.4 inch / 1 cm (wide); 3.28 feet / 1 m (entire zoom range)
When tele macro is in effect: 15.75 inches / 40 cm (tele end)
- Focusing System
- Instant AF, TTL (through the lens)
- Image Stabilization:
- Optical System (Lens-shift system)
Intelligent IS in Auto mode: Dynamic IS (default), Powered IS, Macro IS, Tripod Mode
IS Modes other than Intelligent IS; Dynamic IS and Powered IS settings can be made manually in Manual/Cinema Mode: Standard IS, IS Off
- Manual Exposure
- Programmed AE:
- Smart Auto, Program, Av, Tv, Scene (Portrait, Sports, Night, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks, Underwater, Surface), Cinema Mode
- Max Shutter Speed:
- Movie: 1/2000 sec.
Still Image: 1/500 sec.
- White Balance:
- Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H
- Minimum Illumination
- 1.2 lux
0.1 lux (Low Light mode, 1/2 sec shutter speed)
- LCD Screen:
- 3.0-inch widescreen color Touch Panel LCD, approx. 230,000 pixels
- USB Terminal
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed mini-AB
- Microphone Terminal:
- 3.5mm Stereo Mini-jack
- Video Terminal
- component (output), composite (output)
- HDMI Terminal
- HDMI Mini Connector (output), CEC, x.v. Color supported
- AV Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal
- 3.5 mm 4 pole mini-jack (video/audio output only)
- Accessory Shoe
- mini Advanced
- Operating Temperature Range
- Approx. 32° to 104° F / 0° to 40° C, 85% relative humidity (working)
- Dimensions (W x H x D):
- Approx. 2.7 x 2.5 x 4.8 inches (68 x 64 x 121 mm) not including the grip belt
- approx. 10.9 oz. (310 g) not including grip belt, battery pack and memory card
approx. 12.9 oz. (365 g) fully loaded (including BP-718, memory card and grip belt)